Jan 25, 2008

Saskatonians vs Regina-ites

Now that we have lived in Regina for a while now, I have come to notice some subtle but key differences between the residents of each city. These have been highlighted for me most recently in observing Caroline, a native Saskatonian, try to make her way in Regina for a month. Now as she heads back gleefully back to Saskatoon, I thought I'd share some of my insights.

Generally speaking:
- people from Saskatoon "hate" Regina, and think it's ugly and smelly
Whereas:
- people from Regina think well of Saskatoon and that its pretty, but they still love and prefer Regina

Generally speaking:
- Saskatonians aren't used to one-way streets, and they find it difficult to navigate downtown Regina, which is nothing but, and they think one-way streets are stupid
Whereas:
- Regina-ites are not pleased at all at the prospect of losing their one-way streets (a potential outcome of turning part of 12th Ave into a pedestrian street), because they think it'll make traffic a nightmare

Generally speaking:
- Regina-ites are rabid Riders fans...I mean, not just the men, but women, children and pets are too
Whereas:
- Saskatonians know of the Riders, and most guys follow them, but it's not all everyone talks about

2 comments:

caro said...

I don't HATE Regina ... I will give it the benefit of the doubt. I did have to stay there for the coldest and ugliest part of winter. I was also completely out of my element in every way possible--living out of a suitcase, new but temporary job ...

Perhaps if I were there in the summer and perhaps if I had my own space to return to at night I would have enjoyed the city more.

On the other hand ... its downtown is not nearly as pretty as Saskatoon's.

Anonymous said...

As a Saskatonian, I'd also like to point out that my dad is waaaay stronger than any of the dads I've seen that come from Regina.