Aug 2, 2010

Backpacking-Itinerary

I am off on a backpacking trip with a couple of buddies. I haven't been hiking since long before I was married, so this will be a chance to see if I can still live up to my former glory. This is no sissy trail, either, so I am a little worried about the old knee injury holding up. But I've been working hard all winter and spring to get in shape, so hopefully I be able to show the younger wipper-snappers a thing or two.
We are doing the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National Park, which is just inside the B.C. border, a ways past Banff. We are on the trail for 4 nights / 5 days, and will be covering 55 kms, and going over three major mountain passes. We peak out at 7726 feet elevation, with a base elevation starting point of 4347 feet. We trace the pass of the Rockwall limestone cliff, which is about 1600' high. Our first day, we climb 2300 feet in less than a 10 km stretch of trail. You do the math to average the slope. The other days are all similar.We hit the trail Wednesday morning, starting at the Floe Lake trail, and come off on Sunday afternoon at the Paint Pots parking lot. We are camping at: Floe Lake, Numa Creek, Tumbling Creek, and Helmet Falls.
I'll post my own pictures and some more details when I get back, but for now here is a map of the trail. Also, click on this link to go to a good blog of some guys who did the same trail last year, though on a slightly different schedule.

2 comments:

June said...

Wow,we are excited for you.

"Don't worry, be happy, remember..."

Our thoughts will go with you every day.

M&D

June said...

Wow, good for you.We are excited for you.Have a great trip, and

"Don't worry, be happy,remember...."