Sep 7, 2010

The Canoe trip - Part 1

This post will be about the trip itself. The next entry coming tomorrow will be about "northern architecture."
My sister, who is a home-school educator, organized a trip for several home school kids, and asked myself and a couple of other guys to help guide it. There were 7 teenagers were took out on a three-day trip.
Itinerary:
Depart Missinipe, SK on Thursday morning, spend three nights out, completing a 35 km loop along parts of the Churchill River.
Reality:
we went faster than expected, and to beat the weather, we spent the third night back at base camp.
Click here for a description of the route we took.

Map of the area posted at the boat launch in Missinipe.The fog that greeted us the first morning at Missinipe as we prepared to head out.Being an odd-numbered group, I spent my fair share of time soloing a canoe. A new and fantastic experience for me.
We couldn't have asked for better weather the first two days.The island we would call home for the first night. It was the only level spot we could find for miles around.
How many tents can you cram into a space not quite large enough? My tent was perilously close to the edge of the island, and to the campfire!
The view from my tent the second morning.

Notice the one girl that managed to find the teeniest ledge in the sun to curl up in.

Heading into one of three portages we had to do. This one was the easiest, at 90 flat me
tres.
The group posing along the portage (missing - myself and my sister).

A little horsing around after a different, much harder and sweatier portage.
Checking out some ancient Indian pictographs.
Attempting to make pizza buns the second night.
The only photo I have of the last day is when we were back at Missinipe, making supper in the rain. The day ad been fairly windy, and though it was a tail wind, it still was not my top priority to whip out the old camera while negotiating white caps. All in all, a very nice trip.









No comments: