Jan 21, 2011

Things about Regina - Pt.4

This will be my last post in this series. Farewell Regina.
TITLE: Wascana, the Leg, and the geese.

Saskatoon may be proud of it's beautiful river and the Meeswasin park system along it, but Wascana park in Regina can certainly be ranked in the same category of a beautiful park setting. The Wascana Centre (click here) includes the lake, the leg, etc., and holds the distinction of being larger than Central Park, and is the 4th largest urban park in North America.
It is home to an large population of migratory Canadian Geese, so much so that each year they round up a bunch and relocate them somewhere else...I dunno where.
And of course, the Saskatchewan Legislative Building is a wonder. Really, I could do a whole series of posts on it alone. Built in 1908 to 1912, and is actually the largest capital building in Canada. Tours are free to the public.
During my last 8 months in Regina, I would walk through the park everyday to work. I miss those walks. In the evening, when I would stroll past the gas lanterns that burned perpetually, I would feel like I was in Narnia or something.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear blogger,

It saddens me that this is your last entry in this series. Don’t wave good bye too soon, I am sure you have much more to tell. Your walk in the park is to be envied.

Marcie

PS
I believe my dad hauled lumber with his team and wagon for that legislative building. He was a dray and delivery person in Regina in those years, He left Regina to go to Tyner homestead in 1912.

Wade said...

Thanks for the comments, MJ. So that's pretty cool to know that my grandfather was involved in the construction of the Leg. I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. I've seen pictures of the work crews on the Leg, so I wonder if he was every in one of those photographs.
Someone had to tell me what a dray was too.

Wade said...

Julia...no problem. Thanks for letting me know.

extraordinary destinations said...

Normally such type of trips never is successful because other peoples in your trip will not be happy with your decision they might be having a better idea than your plan. Take the initiatives to hear you partners view, ideas and plan and then make a final decision with group discussion.

Fondos Renta Variable said...

Your blog is very informative and provide lots of ideas and inspiration. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Puertas plegables said...

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this

Mini Bitumen Sprayer said...

Some really fantastic content on this web site, thanks for contribution. “Be absolutely determined to enjoy what you do.” by Sarah Knowles Bolton.

- Vacuum De-Watering System | Vacuum De Watering System | Tar Sprayers